Notre Dame des Victoires - John Santoro Photography
Click photo to enlarge  

Notre Dame des Victoires

At the center of the old original collection of portside buildings of old Quebec is Notre Dame des Victoirs (Our Lady Of Victories) which was constructed shortly after the founding of the city in by Samuel de Champlain in 1608. 

Originally dedicated to l'Enfant Jésus, it received the name Notre-Dame-de-la-Victoire following the Battle of Quebec of 1690, in which an English expedition commanded was forced to retreat. In 1711, its name was changed again, to Notre-Dame-des-Victoires, after bad weather had sunk a British fleet on it's way to attack the town.

 


Collections: French Québèc

Type: Unknown Type


Related Items